HCLC Online Connections Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Age 6 Session 3 Legacy Point #3
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 3 Legacy Point #2
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:08 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 3 Legacy Point #1
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 2 Legacy Point #3
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:06 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 2 Legacy Point #2
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 2 Legacy Point #1
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 1 Legacy Point #3
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 1 Legacy Point #2
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm by PastorDan

» Age 6 Session 1 Legacy Point #1
Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm by PastorDan

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading?

Go down

Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? Empty Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading?

Post by PastorDan Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:36 pm

PastorDan
PastorDan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading? Empty Re: Age 8-Session 2-LP#1 - Why Personal Bible Reading?

Post by PastorDan Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 am

Personal Bible reading is difficult for many. Sometimes there is the idea that, "I read, but I don't really understand what I am reading". Or, "I read, but nothing really 'happens'... I just finish and move on."

Of course there are frustrations.

So here is a very simple way to start out with Bible reading:

1: Start with the Gospel of John.

2: Read one section at a time. Most Bibles have section headings. If yours doesn't [Only admins are allowed to see this link] (In fact, that web site allows you to form an account where you can save your own highlighted text and study notes.)

3a: Finish the section and find a few minutes of non-distracted time to consider three questions.

3b: "What happened in the story?"

3c: "What did it mean for the people in the story?"

3d: "What might it mean for me?"

4: Say a short prayer based on your thoughts.

Example: [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

"What happened in the story?"
Jesus, who has always existed and was instrumental in creating the world, was born into human flesh, and John the Baptist understood it and proclaimed it as good news.

"What did it mean for the people in the story?"
For Jesus, it probably meant having to leave behind his place in heaven so that he could come to earth... probably a crummy deal if you think about it. For John, wow! What a privilege! And the fact that he recognized Jesus as the "light" of the world means that right from the beginning Jesus was able to be known as the Savior.

"What does it mean for me?"
Jesus must really love me a lot if he left behind his eternal home in heaven and was willing to be murdered here on earth to save me from my sinful condition. And I am thankful that I have inherited the same faith as John, that I know Jesus as my Savior.

Short Prayer:
Dearest Jesus, thank you for the incredible gift of your sacrifice. I cannot comprehend the enormity of what you did for me, but I can confess that I am thankful and that as much as I am able, I love you. Help me to increase my faith like John's so that I can also tell the world about you. Amen.

Now you try it. Maybe even post your results in this thread for others to benefit from!
PastorDan
PastorDan
Admin

Back to top Go down